[p4] Windows file name length issues

Patrick Bennett patrick.bennett at inin.com
Sun Aug 19 16:35:43 PDT 2007

David Weintraub wrote:
> Let me restate my question, if I am using Perforce on Windows Vista,
> do I run into the same problems I would on Windows XP with the
> MAX_PATH limitation?
With Perforce itself?  That is an issue with how Perforce calls the
Win32 API's in the P4 API and various clients.
If they're calling the A versions explicitly and relying on MBCS for
Unicode support (yuck), it's a very simple matter for them to instead
use the xxxW versions directly always passing (or converting to) UTF-16
[which the W versions expect].  If they still want to support Win9x
clients, then it's easy enough to abstract that way and only call the
xxxW api's (which aren't in Win9x) by dynamically loading them upon
detection of an NT-class OS.

Patrick Bennett