[p4] Validation and Changelists

Dix, John JDix at MedManageSystems.com
Wed Aug 22 17:27:23 PDT 2007

Thanks Jason - I wanted to make sure that there was not an unautomated
method before I started writing script.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Williams [mailto:streak at narus.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:28 PM
To: Dix, John
Cc: Perforce list
Subject: Re: [p4] Validation and Changelists

Dix, John wrote:
> Hello,
>

> It seems that Changelist submissions can be altered after they have
been
> submitted to the depot and it doesn't record what user did the
altering.
> This is a very bad thing in a Validated environment such as ours. Is
> there a way to tell who altered the changelist description, or to
> prevent it from happening?

On a 2007.2 server's "p4 help change":
"The -f flag can force the update or deletion of other users' pending
changelists.  -f can also force the deletion of submitted changelists
once they have been emptied of files via 'p4 obliterate'.  Normally,
submitted changelists are immutable.  The -f flag requires 'admin'
access granted by 'p4 protect'. The -f and -u flags are mutually
exclusive.

The -u flag can force the update of a submitted change by the owner
of the change. Only the Jobs and Description fields can be changed
using the -u flag. The -f and -u flags cannot be used in the same
change command."

So the owner or a superuser can change the changelist.

The easiest way to prevent it would be to write a trigger.

--Jason