[p4] Double-Take

Mike Sundy msundy at pixar.com
Fri Aug 24 14:16:32 PDT 2007

Yes, I evaluated it at the last company I worked at.  We tested it
and it looked good.  It did what we thought it would do, which was
keep a running mirror of the Windows server versioned files volume.
The nice thing about it was it was way cheaper than the competitors.
However, we ended up migrating all of our servers to Linux any way so
we never moved forward on Double-Take (last time I checked, it was
Windows-only).

What we ended up doing instead was low-tech but free:  On Windows, we
would xcopy over (with several flags) the versioned files system to
the warm spare daily.  On Linux, we used rsync.  If you can deal with
possibly losing up to the last 24 hours of your versioned files, this
is a cheap method to keep a mirror up to date.  Odds are someone
still has files on their desktop from the last 24 hours anyway.

There are many more sophisticated (and expensive) ways to do this,
but xcopy/rsync is a good place to start if you have nothing.

-Mike