[p4] User initiated Codeline Freezes

Jason Williams streak at narus.com
Fri Aug 24 17:09:59 PDT 2007

Scott Marshall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does any one have any ideas about how to offer a
> tool/script that p4 users could execute to essentially
> "freeze" a code line? I know that I can change
> permissions in the protect table but that requires admin
> access and I don't want to have keep changing this
> whenever someone wants to lock a branch. I guess there
> are triggers that could be employed but what would be the
> best way to flag that the branch is locked vs unlocked?
>
> Any insights would be appreciated.

We handle this by having a web-based tool wrapped around the groups
functionality.
The tool allows managers of a code line to control who can check in to a
code line.

The code lines are defined in the protection table.  I've always wanted
to extend it to use a trigger so more helpful error messages can be
returned.  The default error message when someone can't submit a file to
a locked code line ("no permission to lock file") can be rather confusing.

--Jason