[p4] User initiated Codeline Freezes

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Sat Aug 25 15:41:48 PDT 2007

I think that I would try to finesse this into a different, more manageable
problem.

If you are trying to keep updates from happening on a release that is NEAR
the end-point of development/testing, perhaps that is the moment to branch
into a different tree.  Then control access to that release-branch ("dev
project leads only" or the like can make/edit the branch) until release,
then lock the release tree down completely until a patch is requested.

No one is enjoined from checkins -- which is what a "code freeze" causes and
that's a waste of dev time -- in the main/normal/trunk area.

Then you can spend a small amount of quality time writing 2-3 small, very
special-purpose scripts for the Dev project leads to run to create the
release branch.  One would create a release-branch "branch specification"
and save it; a second would "populate-not-submit" a release tree from a
label, date, or changelist number and construct the pending changelist (and
check-in description) to your needs. (Its last line of output would be,
"when you are satisfied with this, run 'p4 submit -c 1235' (or whatever).")

Those scripts could be on a web-based tool or run from whatever workspace
you want.

(In general, "code freeze" can be a time-waster  for files that are
[somewhat] easily put through an automatic or semi-automatic merge process.)

    -Jeff Bowles