[p4] User initiated Codeline Freezes

Chuck Karish chuck.karish at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 14:34:26 PDT 2007

On 8/25/07, Jeff A. Bowles <jab at pobox.com> wrote:
> If you are trying to keep updates from happening on a release that is NEAR
> the end-point of development/testing, perhaps that is the moment to branch
> into a different tree.

Excellent approach.

For one of the teams I support the compromise to this is to start an advisory
code freeze on the main line at the pre-announced deadline, and open the
main line back up after the continuous build-and-test system produces clean
results that include the last changelist submitted before the deadline.

As soon as we see the clean results we announce that the freeze is lifted
and we down-integrate to the release branch from the changelist at which
the clean build and test were done.

This provides some breathing space between the people who are desperately
trying to fix something that's needed for this release and the people who are
champing at the bit to submit new features that are meant for the next release.

--
Chuck Karish   karish at well.com   (415) 317-0182