[p4] File modtime confusion

Dave Lewis dlewis78731 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 16:14:59 PDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Paul Goffin <paul.goffin at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> I think you'll find the file isn't changed at all - the sync doesn't
> actually happen.
>
> I can't remember exactly why Perforce works this way but it makes sense once
> you've heard the explanation.  (I'm sure it's documented.)

if you have it open for edit, syncing a new version will overwrite
your changes.  Remember that perforce hardly ever actually looks at
your files, it just sends you what its records indicate you need.  Its
records indicate you're editing that file, or, at the very least, you
want to edit *that version* of the file,otherwise you'd revert, sync
and open for edit another version.

To have it 2nd guess your intentions would be confusing and inefficient.

dave