[p4] P4 command line client not working

Patrick M. Slattery patrickmslattery at mac.com
Wed Aug 29 21:16:30 PDT 2007

The Perforce docs are orientated more towards vanilla Unix, while OS
X is very close there are a few minor differences.
At a terminal (bash) prompt type
set
This will display all of your user variables, the default path
variable in OS X 10.4 is typically:
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
Depending on where you put the p4 executable on your system you may
need to edit this path, to edit the path setting you need to edit
your bash login script:
nano -w ~/.bash_login
and add the appropriate paths separated by semi-colons and with the
variable PATH (the pre-existing paths) appended to the end of the
declaration.
export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH"
Save the file (CTRL X), then reread your environment settings:
source ~/.bash_login
and try typing "p4" again

In OS X users are accustomed to putting applications in the
Applications folder (/Applications), personally I prefer to put the
p4 executable in /Applications and then just create a symlink to it
in /usr/local/bin via the command:
sudo ln -sv /Applications/p4 /usr/local/bin/p4
It's necessary to use the sudo command to perform this task in OS X
as the root user is disabled by default. sudo will ask for your user
password to authenticate the action.