[p4] Revision confusion

Ivey, William william_ivey at bmc.com
Thu Aug 30 09:18:31 PDT 2007

> It makes sense because that is what you synced to.

It would make sense if sync completed, but it didn't. The
first half fails, but the implicit p4 flush is unaffected
by that. I assume it set the stage for a potential resolve,
but I'd feel better if what it were doing were made more
explicit. (Or if I had to explicitly issue a p4 flush to
put it into that state.)

> Some would think on revert it syncs to the latest
> revision

No, my assumption would have been that it reverted the file
to the same revsion it was at when you opened it for edit.
That's what it usually does. I tend to think of edit/revert
as a do/undo pair, but that's not the case now that I know
a command seemingly unrelated to editing can affect the
outcome.

-Wm