[p4] Sharing workspace between 2 users?

Gabor Maghera gmaghera at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:00:42 PDT 2007

Although possible, sharing workspaces is a no-no according to best
practices.  This may not be as much of an issue if you are not submitting
changes through it.

If feasible, you could create a user account (for the OS) dedicated to such
usage, then create a Perforce user account for the same purpose.  When users
need to retrieve files, they'd use the common account created for this
purpose to log into the conference room machine (which would then access
Perforce).  As an extra measure you could restrict access for the Perforce
user to read-only.

Another way to solve this is to create a file server which periodically
pulls builds from Perforce.  The users could then access the file server for
build access, instead of Perforce.

There are many other ways to do this without sharing workspaces, each having
pros and cons.