[p4] The typical question - "Is my change in that branch?"

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Fri Feb 8 08:57:00 PST 2008

Another trick -- Dash Biswajit already responded with "p4 changes -i", which
I'd agree with -- is this...
Have your build-script generate that list, a report-of-sorts run at the same
time that the compiles ran, that details the content of the build:
(1)  "p4 changes -i -l" output, massaged perhaps a bit to easier to
understand;
(2) "p4 changes -l" output, for comparison...

... in both above cases, you'd give the pathname to the tree you pulled the
files from, possibly adding the qualification ("#have" or "@label" if you
build from a label)...

(3) a diff-between-releases (diff-label) that tells the differences between
this and the last official release;
(4) a diff-between-builds (diff-label) that tells the differences between
this and the last build.

and lastly...

... the "release notes" or "install notes" as they would be delivered today,
right now, this instant. If it's a place-holder or if information isn't
known yet, well, that's perfectly okay.

Save all this in the build area ("BUILDAREA/reports/*.txt").

That way, when someone asks for it, the report is already available.

QA folks love this sorta stuff.

  -Jeff Bowles

ps. And if it's a release branch or dev branch, the "p4 integrate -n"
command that shows files that have been modified but not yet merged-back.
Perhaps with owner of the changes that weren't yet merged -- that's a bit of
a script, but not awful.