[p4] Optmizing Perforce Databases (Nellie Chen)

Sheizaf, Yariv yariv.sheizaf at sap.com
Sun Feb 17 05:45:19 PST 2008

Hi,

Some optimizations you can do:

1. On monthly or weekly basis, do:
	- Checkpoint the DB (p4d -jc)
	- Remove the database files $P4ROOT/db.*
	- Restore from checkpoint (p4d -jr <checkpoint file name>

    This can reduce the DB size by about 30% and increase performance by
25%

2. If there are independent projects in the database, divide it into two

   Separated databases by copying, duplicate licenses (support by
Perforce licensing team) and obliterate the opposite project from each
database.

Regards,

Yariv Sheizaf
SAP SBS CM TL
Phone  +972-9-7779643
Mobile  +972-54-2277586

Hi,

We are finding that our Perforce databases are growing in size extremely
quickly, and is quickly running out of disk space.  We have almost 200
users accessing our Perforce server and they are all adding more data
into the server.  Adding more disk space to the server will temporarily
solve the problem.  We have initially calculated disk space to be 3
times the anticipated used space, but we are now quickly exceeding this
limit.

We are currently looking into re-indexing/re-building the Perforce
databases, which may reduce the size of the dbs.  But are there other
suggestions to:
1. Reduce the size of our current Perforce dbs?
2. Help optimize/control the growth of the Perforce dbs in the future
(without hindering developers from making check-ins)?

Thanks,
Nellie