[p4] Adding a Changelist # to C++ code...?

Troughton, Robert rtroughton at midway.com
Thu Feb 21 04:23:34 PST 2008

This sounds good. Is there a way to have it automatically generate that
header file, though?

We were previously told by Perforce tech support that the way to get the
changelist number was:-

p4 -c NCE-RTroughton changes -t -m 1 "#have"

However, we were told at the time that this wouldn't be 100% reliable...
but it seems good enough for us, anyway. We've never encountered a
problem using it...

My question, really, is how to use this to create a header... I guess I
could write a little app which takes the output from this and parses
it...? But is there a better way?

Typical output from the above says:-

"Change 56552 on 2008/02/21 08:10_37 by JBlack at NCE-JBlack '[xxxproject]
- [fix] make something work'"