[p4] Finding the workspace name: is p4config mandatory?

Steve M. Robbins steve at sumost.ca
Fri Feb 22 15:06:39 PST 2008

Hi,

I should clarify a few things.

1) It is perfectly possible to use p4v without setting anything in
the environment.  Not the workspace, not P4PORT, not even P4CONFIG.
This is how we operate today.

2) We typically want developers to be able to build on their machine.

3) The developer build is set off outside of p4v: from an IDE, or
command line "make", etc.

Item #2 implies that I don't just have a problem of setting up 1
p4config file for N workspaces on a build server, but an NxM problem
where M is the number of developers.  (Alternatively, each developer
has to set up N config files.)

Granted, this can be done.  It's not rocket science.  But it gives you
NxM chances to make a mistake while setting up something that should
be mechanically generated (as is done by both CVS and Subversion).
When I get to a point like this I figure either I'm abusing the tool,
or the the tool is too limited.

So what you folks using p4v with large M do?

Thanks,
-Steve