[p4] Finding the workspace name: is p4config mandatory?

Dave Lewis dlewis78731 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 22:21:58 PST 2008

Actually, I would not embed a changenumber for developer builds, I
would only do that for official builds.  I think the environment is
too variable on a developer's machine to produce reliable information.

As some of the replies have shown, the highest changenumber a client
is synced to does not mean you'll get the same set of files if you
sync to that number.  That sounds like double talk, but consider
working on a change.  Files are open for edit, and the developer does
a test build.  In this case, the changenumber info is misleading.
Then the developer submits the change, and now, the client shows that
the highest changenumber in the client's files is the just submitted
changenumber.  The developer, however, may not have synced to the
latest changes before submitting their work. Again, the changenumber
will be misleading.

Considering that there is no control over many of these factors, I
would choose a different approach that indicates some uncertainty with
regard to the status of a developer build.  A possibility might be
that if the client name is not obvious from the environment, to label
the build with its date/time info and "dev" status.

I suppose you could sync the client to a known state before building
it, but I think that's a bit intrusive for a build to do in the
development situation.

I am not too familiar with P4V, but in P4WIN, you can add tools to the
tool menu.  If there is a similar feature in P4V, then starting a
build from P4V can then supply the correct client name, etc.

just a thought,

dave