[p4] Deleting original depot without affecting branch

Oren Shemesh (oshemesh) oshemesh at cisco.com
Thu Feb 28 00:21:55 PST 2008

Obliterate automatically does the work '-z' would do, if needed.
You can safely use obliterate, just as you understood in the past.

The reason they have the '-z' option is because if project1 was branched
to 10 other projects, and you obliterate it, the files would be copied
10 times, and this may cause disk to fill too much and fail the
obliterate - probably leaving things in a mess (I am speculating here).
By running obliterate -z first, you tell it to copy all the files and
use the disk space it would use, without obliterating the original
files, so you can see the effect on disk space. I assume that if the
disk gets too crowded, obliterate -z will fail without leaving the
system in any mess, and this would be your warning that you cannot use
obliterate until you free some space or add disk space.

Regards, Oren.