[p4] Jira integration: use jobs or not?

Dan Halbert halbert at everyzing.com
Fri Feb 29 14:36:54 PST 2008

Hi - I am asking some advice from those of you who use Jira with Perforce.

We are switching from Bugzilla to Jira for bug tracking. We do not use
P4DTI. Instead, we have a simple homegrown integration with Bugzilla
using a submit trigger. Every submit must include one or more Bugzilla
bug numbers in the description. The submit description is added as a
comment to the bug. This enforces matching bugs with fixes.

We do not use Perforce jobs at all.

Jira has several options for integration with perforce (if I understand
correctly):
1. It can just do changelist indexing; it will notice references to JIRA
issues (e.g. FOO-123) in changelist descriptions. It indexes once an hour.
2. It can also optionally create a Perforce job on request for a Jira issue.
3. It can also require that a Perforce job be created. This is called a
hidden job. It seems there is then a one-to-one correspondence between
Jira issues and Perforce jobs.

I cannot decide what to do here. Since we have no experience with jobs,
I am not sure they are necessary if we already have Jira issues. To get
the enforcement I have with Bugzilla, I could write a submit trigger
that requires a reference to at least one Jira issue in each submit
description .

If you use Jira, what is your experience, and which did you choose? It
seems the choice might have to do with whether we want to be more
p4-centric or Jira-centric, but I am not sure.

Thanks very much,
Dan