[p4] Deleting original depot without affecting branch

Peter Weldon peter.weldon at lollotec.com
Tue Mar 4 14:01:56 PST 2008

On 3/4/08, Gabor Maghera <gmaghera at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am little bit confused about the necessity of running p4 snap when using
>  p4 obliterate.  The help on p4 obliterate for version 2007.2, does not state
>  anything about having to run p4 snap prior to using p4 obliterate.
>
>  So, I wonder, in order to preserve revisions for which you have lazy copies
>  in other branches, do you have to first run p4 snap?

No. p4 obliterate does the right thing (it only removes the underlying
archive file when no other revisions reference it).

> Has there been a
>  change to the obliterate algorithm going from p4d 2007.2 to p4d 2007.3,
>  perhaps?

The latest released versions of 2007.2 (140395 2007/11/27) and 2007.3
(143793 2008/01/21) appear to have identical obliterate behavior.

Don't take my word for it though. Obliterate is scary - backups and
trial runs in a test environment help. If you are still unsure call
Tech Support, once they understand what it is you are trying to do
they will be able to give you some answers.