[p4] typemap and exclusive locking (revisited)

Tony Sweeney sweeney at addr.com
Wed Mar 5 09:18:06 PST 2008

todd.benham at kodak.com wrote:
> I found many references to typemap setting and exclusive locking but I
> can't get this one point straight.
>
> If I add "binary+l //..." to our typemap, all future binary files are
> exclusive lock by default.

If you add "binary+l //..." to your typemap, all future files will be
both binary _and_ exclusive lock by default, because '//...' matches all
files in all depots.  'binary' and 'binary+l' are distinct types.  You
seem to be trying to modify the 'binary' type to mean 'binary+l', and
that isn't how it works.

> Ideally, I want binaries to be exclusive lock but I want any specific
> typemaps to still apply.
> But I don't want any text files to be binary (which seems to be happening)
> and the text types are not exclusive lock.
>
> I located this above the middle of the typemap after all the "binary
> //....xxx" lines but before any "text //...xxx" lines.
>
> I removed that line. Do I have to add "+l" to each individual line or am I
> missing something?

Yes.

> If this is true, then any binary added with an "unknown" extension will
> not get the exclusive lock.

Exactly.

> Todd

Tony.