[p4] rsync for Windows

Dix, John JDix at MedManageSystems.com
Wed Mar 5 16:20:48 PST 2008

I am forced to work with ASP.NET and .NET developers who when asked to
open a command prompt they respond with a "huh?" or a "what is that?".
One actually complained to our director because I asked them to resolve
their files using p4 resolve rather than using the P4V application
because it makes more sense that way. Introducing another cmd prompt on
them would be cruel punishment, albeit funnier than hell just for the
reaction. ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Janulewicz [mailto:MJanulewicz at greendotcorp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:18 PM
To: Dix, John; Dan Wilder; perforce-user at perforce.com
Subject: RE: [p4] rsync for Windows

Typically you just need the cygwin.dll, but yeah, sometimes other stuff.

However, I don't know what the big deal is about running Cygwin. It's
just another strain of a Dos shell that happens to be somewhat
unix-centric. I haven't opened a DOS shell in years. Save for the odd
filepath syntax, everything you can launch from the Dos shell (notepad,
iis, etc.) launches just as well with Cygwin.

Cygwin, of course, also has Python in it. If you're using Python I'd say
you're already bending toward *nix on Windows anyway so why not go full
tilt? :)

-Matt