[p4] Number of users to admins ratio

David Ferguson daf at vmware.com
Tue Mar 11 11:54:12 PDT 2008

We're supporting 3000 users, team of 8, but generally only 3 do direct admin.
Rest do automation improvements,  or maintenance of overlaid functionality
(automatic merging, automated branch policy supports, maintain cover
scripts), or work on a build cluster farm for development use only.  (We
don't have anything to do with the official build generation itself, but do
try and help/assist/drive the product development process through improved
monitoring, automated merging policies, or automated tools for branch policy
definitions enforced via triggers.  We have 13 repositories, but 85% of all
activity is in a single 250G DB so our admin is heavily skewed toward keeping
that guy working as fast as possible.

FWIW, the build team (supporting the build generation itself and the
surrounding tools (continuous builds, tools support, oversight of make/scons
files, build harnesses) is approximately another 25.

-daf
Manager - Software Configuration
VMware