[p4] Automated Remote Restores

Dix, John JDix at MedManageSystems.com
Tue Mar 11 16:29:05 PDT 2008

Hello I am working on some code that will allow me to automate the
Perforce db restoration process on a Windows 2003 server using Python. I
want to do this as part of my Backup script where after I rsync the
files over I then do a restore to a test Perforce server.

My thoughts are to do this:

1.       From backup script, emotely spawn an instance of Python.exe on
the target server which then executes script which does an automated
restore.

2.       Copy the log file back and scan for an error token.

3.       Send email with pass or in the case of fail, with the log file
as an attachment.

Does anyone have a better way of doing this? I have never used Python to
spawn external processes on a remote networked system before so
suggestions are helpful. J

Thanks!

-J