[p4] Baseless merging - the answer to a migration to Perforce question?

Rick Macdonald rickmacd at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 14 08:09:50 PDT 2008

Gabor Maghera wrote:
> There may be a way to do it without having to rely on baseless merging
> for going forward once migration to p4 is completed.  Import the trunk
> only via cvs2p4.  Once you get it into Perforce, spawn a branch from
> it.  Check the entire branch out for edit, delete all of its files
> from your workspace (to handle deletes performed on the branch).
> Perform a p4 add on any files which were added to the SCCS branch.
> Submit.  This will give you the ancestral relationship between the
> branch and its donor at the cost of losing SCCS revision history on
> your branch.

It occurs to me that we could do the above, but instead of one
checkout/submit, we could repeat it for every revision of every file. I
think I could extract the changelist grouping from a dry run of cvs2p4
and do this with the same sets of files. The results would be exactly
what we want, but the dates would be wrong. Brutal and slow, but an idea
to consider. I think we could do this on the output of cvs2p4, and then
merge the entire result with our production server (using RevML of
perfmerge).

This should work, right?

> You could probably get similar results without revision history loss
> but it gets a bit more complicated.  Import the trunk only via cvs2p4,
> and branch right away.  Import the branch with cvs2p4 but not as a
> branch, rather a trunk for a new module (you can do this with
> cvs2p4).  Now, perform a baseless merge from this place into the
> branch you created after the first import.  The revision history on
> the p4 branch will include full revision history, but the branch point
> will be off, and the revision history from SCCS will show as having
> taken place on the trunk of the module which resulted from the second
> cvs2p4 import.
>
> If you were to go with the latter option, you'll probably have to use
> perfmerge++ to merge the results of the two runs of cvs2p4.  I don't
> think it's possible to do the import in one step, because of the
> desired change from branch to trunk and massaging it into a new
> module, when converting the SCCS branch.

I don't understand this one yet. Have to think about it some more.

Thanks,
Rick