[p4] Symbolic links on perforce

Oren Shemesh (oshemesh) oshemesh at cisco.com
Sat Mar 15 23:41:47 PDT 2008

There is a small issue here you might need to be aware of.

When a windows machine syncs a symlink from P4, a small text fiule is
created on the hard-disk, containing the symlink attributes (I'm not
sure of the exact details, they do not matter).

This is usually not a problem, because you would not extract the symlink
to be usable from a Windows machine anyway, and thus you also would not
attempt to edit a symlink from a Windows machine.
But if you have a shared workspace (a.k.a. client) used by both a
Unix/Linux machine and a Windows machine, then you need to be very
carefull not to sync symlinks from the Windows machine, as this would
create small text files on the shared disk instead of creating a
symlink, and the Unix machine would be angry.

Oren.