[p4] Problem loading Time Lapse View

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Fri Mar 21 15:26:49 PDT 2008

Mesan --

Difficult topic involving some deep Perforce magic.

First, the RCS stuff. Perforce uses RCS reverse delta format for the
storage of text files. RCS numbered revisions 1.1, 1.2, etc. This is
normally hidden from Perforce users unless they get corruption issues
like you have.

Now, the errors. What this is telling you is that Perforce was unable to
get versions 1.1 and 1.3 from the archive file, and that the metadata
says there are revisions beyond 1.5 that Perforce can't find in the
archive either.

As for backups, use the most recent one that works. I  notice that you
are using a wildcard in your annotate line, or is that just a form of
quoting? Assuming you're not using a wildcard, try restoring just
'depot/ASL Framework/Asl.Data/Asl.Data/AR.cs,v' from under your P4ROOT
directory. If this doesn't make sense, then you may not have the backups
that you need.

Also, it's extremely rare to have archive corruption. The most common
cause is out-of-disk conditions. Did that happen recently? Disk errors
or fixing them can also cause such corruptions.

Beyond that, helping with this can be a very involved process. You
really need support.

Steve

Mesan wrote:
> <I tried to post this a couple days ago but I don't think it went through.
> My apologies if this is a 2nd post>
>
> I don't know how long ago this happened, but at some point files became
> corrupted and I cannot pull up the Time-Lapse view for any of the source
> files in my main branch.  Whenever I try to open the time-lapse view I get
> the following error:
>

> *p4 annotate -a -q -c -dw //depot/ASL Framework/Asl.Data/Asl.Data/AR.cs*
>
> *Date 2008/03/14 13:14:11:*
>
> *Operation: user-annotate*
>
> *RCS checkout 1.1 failed!*
>
> *RCS no revision after 1.5!*
>
> *Date 2008/03/14 13:14:11:*
>
> *Operation: user-annotate*
>
> *RCS checkout 1.3 failed!*
>
> *RCS no revision after 1.5!*
>

> What do I do?  I don't have a license (I'm a single user) so support won't
> help me beyond telling me it's a file corruption issue and that I need to
> restore the files from backup.  Which files?  How old of a backup?  The
> error says RCS Version 1.5 - what does that mean?  Some files have as many
> as 67 revisions, some as few as 1 - I'm really kind of stuck here. :-(  Any
> help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks!

Stephen Vance
www.vance.com