[p4] Symbolic links on perforce

Chuck Karish chuck.karish at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 05:14:33 PDT 2008

p4 doesn't pay much attention to whether a file is a symbolic link.
Sometimes it's hard to get it to perform an action on the symbolic
link rather than on the file to which the link points.  I've seen this
most often when the user wants to change a file from a symbolic
link to a regular file.  One workaround is to remove the destination
file from disk.

If a symbolic link points to a directory somewhere else in the
depot, files added through the link will have paths relative
to the destination rather than to the link's location.  This can
be surprising to tools.

  Chuck

Chuck Karish karish at well.com (415) 317-0182