[p4] How to *really* back out a revision

Nittin chawala nittinchawala at yahoo.co.in
Tue Mar 25 21:42:36 PDT 2008

One of the solution can be setting options in client spec as "modtime" instead of nomodtime ( default option is nomodtime ) and sync the old version ( which was stable ) of that file instead of head.
  --
Roy Smith <smith_roy at emc.com> wrote:
  We've got an ugly problem caused by an accidental submit to a release
branch.

Our patch generation process depends on file timestamps changing.
Skipping a few details, we build the baseline, then resync to the
head of the release branch, then rebuild. Anything that's changed,
gets put into the patch.

Somebody accidentally submitted a new version of a commonly used
header file to the release branch. There's lots to talk about how to
prevent that from happening again, but that's a different story, and
what's done is done. We can resubmit the correct version as the new
head revision. That will result in the correct source file
*contents* being on #head, but as far as make is concerned, when we
rebuild, the file timestamp will have changed. That will cause a lot
of things will get rebuilt which don't need to get rebuilt (resulting
in a mongo patch, which we're trying to avoid).

One solution is "p4 obsolete file#head". It would certainly fix the
problem, but I'm reluctant to use obliterate for all the commonly
cited reasons why it's not a good idea. Other ideas we've thought of
include:

1) Building a complex client spec which specifically maps the
"correct" revision of the offending file. This should work, but it
would be a special case in our patch process, and special cases tend
not to mix well with reproducible processes.

2) Creating a new branch starting with the correct revisions of
everything and using that as our new release branch. Again, I think
this works, but becomes an exception to the normal process going
forward.

Anybody have any better ideas how to recover?

Roy Smith
Software Guy, EMC Common Management Group
44 South Broadway, 7th floor
White Plains, NY 10601
+1 914 580 3427
AIM: roysmith649