[p4] How to get newest label matching a regexp?

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Thu Mar 27 08:20:37 PDT 2008

Mr. Ivey's got the best suggestion I know.
It's helpful to remember that the tagged output ("p4 -Ztag labels") has a
blank line between each of the labels. (Assuming that there are no newlines
in descriptions of the labels, that means the blank line can be seen as a
separator between data.)
This directly plays into Perl's processing of paragraphs in input text; set
"$/" to an empty string and parse away.

    -Jeff Bowles

ps. If you're a Python or Ruby enthusiast, there are a lot of options that
come along for the ride with "p4 -G" and "p4 -R". (The other option - p4perl
/ p4ruby / p4python - is even more attractive.)

pps. His trick works for finding client workspaces based on time ("find me
the old workspaces") also.