[p4] Keeping everybody in sync with client specs?

Roy Smith smith_roy at emc.com
Sun Mar 30 13:07:01 PDT 2008

We've got a recurring problem involving keeping everybody on the same
page with client specs.  What seems to keep happening is:

1) Development adds a new top-level directory to a project
2) The build team doesn't update their client spec and the build breaks
3) Much ranting email gets sent with both sides pointing fingers

Part of the problem is that the build team needs to pull in more
stuff than the developers.  In addition to the code itself, they need
build scripts, documentation, etc, so we can't both both use the same
template.  They need to build a client spec which is a superset of
what dev uses.

How do other people solve these sorts of problems?  We're looking for
something which doesn't require any manual steps (or as few as
possible).

Roy Smith <smith_roy at emc.com>
Software Guy, EMC Common Management Group
44 South Broadway, 7th floor
White Plains, NY 10601
+1 914 580 3427
AIM: roysmith649