[p4] Keeping everybody in sync with client specs?

Dix, John JDix at MedManageSystems.com
Sun Mar 30 22:46:14 PDT 2008

I have restricted top level branch access to builders only. Developers have read only access to our baseline branch, Dev branches are created by request only and permissions are assigned as needed. They are given full permissions to their "personal" branch.

With regard to maintaining the branches and who does what, developers are 2nd class citizens and the builders are in charge. We're held to strict FDA standards with regard to auditing so to let developers do what they will would cause our company to fail and FDA audit.

________________________________

From: perforce-user-bounces at perforce.com on behalf of Nittin chawala
Sent: Sun 3/30/2008 10:03 PM
To: Roy Smith; perforce-user at perforce.com Com
Subject: Re: [p4] Keeping everybody in sync with client specs?

you can write a form-in trigger on client spec and check if the client spec is modified by developers.
  Now what do you want to do:
  1) Just inform everyone that client spec is changed ?
  2) Modify the build client spec automatically ( need more logical approch to do this )
  You can also write a wrapper on sync with cetain options like very the client spec if modified by some other users etc..

  --
Roy Smith <smith_roy at emc.com> wrote:
  We've got a recurring problem involving keeping everybody on the same
page with client specs. What seems to keep happening is:

1) Development adds a new top-level directory to a project
2) The build team doesn't update their client spec and the build breaks
3) Much ranting email gets sent with both sides pointing fingers

Part of the problem is that the build team needs to pull in more
stuff than the developers. In addition to the code itself, they need
build scripts, documentation, etc, so we can't both both use the same
template. They need to build a client spec which is a superset of
what dev uses.

How do other people solve these sorts of problems? We're looking for
something which doesn't require any manual steps (or as few as
possible).

Roy Smith
Software Guy, EMC Common Management Group
44 South Broadway, 7th floor
White Plains, NY 10601
+1 914 580 3427
AIM: roysmith649