[p4] Scripting P4win.

Jim Tilander jim_perforce at tilander.org
Mon Mar 31 16:22:53 PDT 2008

So what's it for, well. I'd like to track what each clientspec is
doing, what kind of operations they've done and basically go back in
time from the client's point of view. I guess I could do with just a
server command that would dump the whole clientspec state for me. I
basically don't want to roll out my own client, nor to "train" anyone
to do a custom sync option (that way lies endless support :)

As for p4win, the day that perforce stops distributing that piece of
software is the day I stop using perforce. It's the one redeeming UI
client, p4v is a sea of usability misunderstandings and confusion
(hey, I get confused in there, and I fancy myself somewhat familiar
with perforce, how can I expect a new user to have any chance?). I
can't make odds and ends of that thing, and it made the fatal try to
support multiple platforms within one (gui) toolkit. Cross platform
only means that it's equally crappy on each platform. No, give me a
native client, one that looks and feels like the platform I'm on.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that p4win should be officially supported.

/j

--
Beware of architect astronauts.