[p4] Fwd: Keeping everybody in sync with client specs?

Dave Lewis dlewis78731 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 22:15:57 PDT 2008

forgot to include the list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dave Lewis <dlewis78731 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [p4] Keeping everybody in sync with client specs?
To: Roy Smith <smith_roy at emc.com>

Probably a more formal template methodology.  We check  our template
 clients into perforce.  This is not strictly needed anymore, but it
 does provide better tracking, and such.  The other thing we did was
 that we used the same template between builds and development.

 I would imagine that you should build your build client each night
 based on the current development template.  We built from scratch
 every night using a new client built from the currently checked in
 template client.  Each template client mapped its checked in template
 into itself.  This nails down the exact template to be used when you
 label a release.  (there were provisions in the script that generated
 the new nightly build client to use the template as of the
 changenumber the build was to be synced to)

 Also, checked in client specs can have comments in them.  When they
 are read into perforce, the comments are just filtered out as the
 client is defined.

 dave