[p4] Script files and versioning

Robert Schneider Robert.Schneider at maroxx.at
Wed Nov 5 01:27:22 PST 2008

I hope one of you can give me some advise. I still don't know how to do it.

We have a bundle of developed php files that make up a certain intranet site that gets deployed on our customer servers. Until now there was no version for this php application. We just had the terms 'the old version' or 'the version that is installed on ...'. Awkward, I know.

Now I'd like to introduce a versioning scheme for the php application. So we can talk about e.g. 'Version 3.2'. But my problem is, that I don't know how to achieve this correctly. At least I know that all files should be seen as one group that get one version.

Should each php file get a comment with a version? Could I use keyword expansion? If so, which keywords? Should the version be visible in the application, so it is visible in the browser? What could you recommend? How would you do it?

I have similar issues with some Python script files that build up a server. And also with a SQL script that creates a database. It would be also interesting how to version these items too. Same way or different?

Thank you,
Robert