[p4] Algorithm for Generating a Build Report

Scott Marshall Scott.Marshall at citrix.com
Fri Nov 7 16:58:20 PST 2008

Hi there,

I was wondering what others do to produce a build report using Perforce. We have a script that takes the output from a "p4 changes -i" command run against two labels and diffs the output to determing the changelists that are part of the current build. Where this breaks down is the "-i" argument is causing Changelists from other branches to be included in the report since there can be a shared file history between the branches. The report in this case misrepresents what exactly ended up in the build.

Is there another algorithm that can/should be followed to ensure the report is more accurate?

I appreciate any help/insights that you can provide.

Thanks,

-Scott

Scott Marshall | Build Engineer

Citrix Online Division          Phone: 805.690.5832
Citrix Systems, Inc.            Fax: 805. 690.6471
6500 Hollister Avenue           Email: scott.marshall at citrix.com
Goleta, CA 93117 USA            Web: www.citrix.com