[p4] Algorithm for Generating a Build Report

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Fri Nov 7 23:34:55 PST 2008

If the two labels are against the same codeline, certainly you could use "p4
files @label1" and "p4 files @label2" to create the list of all revisions
that exist between the two labels, and use the likes of "p4 files
specific-file#4" to find exact change numbers.  It's hardly efficient,
however, running the risk of machine-gunning a server with lots of
itsy-bitsy requests.  (Think of the Lilliputians tying down Gulliver, and
you have the picture.)  If it's a one-time report, have at it, but you might
consider running it outside of development checkin-times if you are
comparing large trees over many revisions. (It depends on your data and your
hardware configuration.)

Is there a reason why you believe that the changes -- from other branches --
are uninteresting? It sounds like they *did* contribute to the current line,
so it might be worth asking more specifics on that part of the topic.

 -Jeff Bowles

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Scott Marshall <Scott.Marshall at citrix.com>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering what others do to produce a build report using Perforce.
We have a script that takes the output from a "p4 changes -i" command run
against two labels and diffs the output to determing the changelists that
are part of the current build. Where this breaks down is the "-i" argument
is causing Changelists from other branches to be included in the report
since there can be a shared file history between the branches. The report in
this case misrepresents what exactly ended up in the build.