[p4] Putting files in a changelist by pattern?

Tony Sweeney sweeney at addr.com
Sat Nov 8 10:39:51 PST 2008

Roy Smith wrote:
> I've got a bunch of opened files, some of which I want to put into a
> separate changelist.  They are all the files in one particular
> directory.  The "obvious" way to do this would be to cd to that
> directory and say, "p4 change ...", which has the minor disadvantage
> of being illegal syntax :-(
>
> The only way I can see to do this is to do "p4 change" then manually
> edit the file list to remove the ones I don't want.  This works, but
> is annoying and error-prone (especially if the list if long).  Is
> there a cleaner way, i.e. some way I can create a changelist with a
> filename pattern?

Use 'p4 reopen'.  First, create the change using 'p4 change', and delete
all of the files in it (all the files that you have open in the default
change).  Make a note of the change number.  Now you can selectively add
just the files that you want using 'p4 reopen -c <changenum> <file(s)>.
The <file(s)> argument will allow you the '...' wildcard, which gives
you what you want with only one extra step, creating and emptying your
numbered change.

Tony.