[p4] P4V Automatic Resolve, Labeling Changesets?

Mickey Gabel mickey at monfort.co.il
Tue Nov 11 02:44:17 PST 2008

Hello.

I have some questions I hope someone can answer:

(we are using Perforce 2008.1)

Regarding labeling:

1) Is there a way to give a name (label, or tag, or whatever they want
to call it) to a changelist, instead of a set of files?
Other tools I am familiar with, for example Vault, can simply take a
version (a revision/changelist in perforce) and label it with a name.
I find it makes it easier for me to track released versions, instead of
a large mess of files with tags.
(Yes, we also use branches for similar purposes, but these are for large
projects or large differences, we won't branch for a 2-line bug fix).

2) Using P4V, is there a way to display the "labeling" history along
with the revision history? It would make it easier to track changes
between versions.

3) Is it possible to label directories, instead of files?

Regarding resolves:

4) Is there a way to get P4V to do trivial resolves immediately and
automatically?
When doing integrations between branches, all files are marked for
resolve. Even those files where the resolve is trivial (one version
identical to base) or without conflicts. This causes a large list of
files to be resolved in P4V, adding an unnecessary extra step (select
all files, rightclick, Resolve, choose Automatic, ...).

5) A general question: is there a user's forum for Perforce? The mailing
list is not search-able.

Thanks,
	Mickey