[p4] Guidelines for codelines?

Chris Helck Chris.Helck at us.icap.com
Mon Nov 17 12:58:26 PST 2008

We are following the standard development, main, release model and I'm
trying to create guidelines for our developers to help them figure out
which codeline they should work on. My question is when can work be done
directly on the main line? It seems to me the logic goes something like
this:

1. If the change is for a specific release and the release codeline
exists then the change goes on the release codeline.
2. If the change is an experiment, a large open ended change, or for an
unscheduled release then it goes on a development codeline.
3. Everything else can go on the main.

This isn't very crisp and it's bound to be confusing. Can someone
suggest a clearer statement?

Also, I understand some people use the main only for integrations.
When/why is this recommended?

Thanks,
C. Helck

This communication and all information (including, but not limited to,
 market prices/levels and data) contained therein (the "Information") is
 for informational purposes only, is confidential, may be legally
 privileged and is the intellectual property of ICAP plc and its affiliates
 ("ICAP") or third parties. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
 lost by any mistransmission. The Information is not, and should not
 be construed as, an offer, bid or solicitation in relation to any
 financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction.
 The Information is not warranted, including, but not limited, as to
 completeness, timeliness or accuracy and is subject to change
 without notice. ICAP assumes no liability for use or misuse of the
 Information. All representations and warranties are expressly
 disclaimed. The Information does not necessarily reflect the views of
 ICAP. Access to the Information by anyone else other than the
 recipient is unauthorized and any disclosure, copying, distribution or
 any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited. If
 copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
 notify the sender.