[p4] Guidelines for codelines?

steve at vance.com steve at vance.com
Mon Nov 17 14:45:01 PST 2008

The release codeline should only be for fixes to defects found in QA on the
release. Fixes found in other releases that need to be ported to that
release qualify through integration.

Think of your use of development codelines (you're really talking multiple,
not just one, right?) as ways to avoid risk to the ongoing releasability
and productivity of your mainline. Some people only integrate to the
mainline because the only want fully qualified and reviewed changes there
and branches help them implement that process.

Feature that may not be done before next release? Branch it. Project with
significant architectural change? Branch it. Prototype or one-off
development? Branch it. Want to be able to check in without necessarily
following the code quality rules on main (with good justification, of
course)? Branch it.

Steve