[p4] Codelines and Components

Chris Helck Chris.Helck at us.icap.com
Tue Nov 18 14:27:41 PST 2008

I'm looking for tips and references on how to work with multiple
components and codelines. We're a small Java shop and we use Maven to
build components (jar files). We're having problems when a single
functional change involves changes to multiple components. Issues of
which codelines to modify, when to propagate changes, and who should
compile against what are always popping up.

For example, should an application's mainline always compile/link
against its dependent component mainlines? Or should dependencies be
always to release lines?

Another example: if while doing a large change in a development codeline
I discover a small, but nasty, bug in another component. Should I create
a development branch for the component and fix the bug, or should I fix
the bug on its mainline (or even in a release line)?

While we're enchanted by the promise of components we're finding it to
be a very confusing landscape to navigate through.

Regards,
Christopher Helck

This communication and all information (including, but not limited to,
 market prices/levels and data) contained therein (the "Information") is
 for informational purposes only, is confidential, may be legally
 privileged and is the intellectual property of ICAP plc and its affiliates
 ("ICAP") or third parties. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
 lost by any mistransmission. The Information is not, and should not
 be construed as, an offer, bid or solicitation in relation to any
 financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction.
 The Information is not warranted, including, but not limited, as to
 completeness, timeliness or accuracy and is subject to change
 without notice. ICAP assumes no liability for use or misuse of the
 Information. All representations and warranties are expressly
 disclaimed. The Information does not necessarily reflect the views of
 ICAP. Access to the Information by anyone else other than the
 recipient is unauthorized and any disclosure, copying, distribution or
 any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited. If
 copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and
 notify the sender.