[p4] Guidelines for codelines?

Matt Craighead matt.craighead at conifersystems.com
Thu Nov 20 10:49:25 PST 2008

My personal recommendation is to avoid development branches.  I've found
development branches to be a lot more trouble than they're worth.  One of
the biggest problems is "mass integrates".  I've written about this on my
blog:
http://www.conifersystems.com/2008/11/05/the-benefits-of-small-commits/
http://www.conifersystems.com/2008/11/12/when-are-small-commits-bad/

'One common way people end up committing large changes is the dreaded "mass
integrate".  That is, you have two branches, and you want to catch up the
one branch with all the changes made to the other branch.  In a mass
integrate, rather than integrating each individual change over by itself,
you integrate all of the changes together in one big commit.  Mass
integrates may touch hundreds or thousands of files.'

Also, in Perforce you can undo a bad change, but you can't simultaneously
roll back the integration history -- if you undo the change, the integration
history will be wrong.  This makes these changes especially dangerous.

I would say you are better off having all development take place in the main
branch.

Matt Craighead
Founder/CEO, Conifer Systems LLC
http://www.conifersystems.com