[p4] Codelines and Components

Roy Smith smith_roy at emc.com
Thu Nov 20 12:50:31 PST 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 2:52 PM, David Ferguson wrote:

> My objection to the //depot/main/component is fundamentally one of
> branching expectations.  That policy tends to drive people toward
> branching all components every time any of them branch.

Is that a problem?  I always branch the whole project.  My
understanding is that the copy-on-write semantics make branching very
low cost, so why not branch it all?  It sure beats branching just one
component and then discovering later that you really needed to branch
some other component and have to go back and branch it too, etc

Roy Smith <smith_roy at emc.com>
Software Guy, EMC
1133 Westchester Ave, 3rd floor
White Plains, NY 10604