[p4] Codelines and Components

David Ferguson daf at vmware.com
Thu Nov 20 13:30:59 PST 2008

So very true...  I'm just fighting a massive inertia where everybody wants to go toward unit-testing the components and enforcing the compatibility requirements, but nobody is willing to actually identify the interfaces themselves because the components were treated as a single ball of mud so long that they're massively incestuous.

However, just because you've set up the directories so that they can be released independently doesn't mean that you must do that.  You can still branch each and every one of them as a single unit and treat them that way if you want, you're just not obligated to.  If, sometime in the future, you can start splitting off pieces and treating them independently, this format gives you a head-start on that without significantly onerous overhead, I believe.

But, maybe I'm just too frustrated with the past couple of weeks and have lost my objectivity...

-daf