[p4] Need help to debug this simple trigger

Dan Wierenga dwierenga at valueclick.com
Fri Nov 21 10:35:34 PST 2008

Hi,

> I just want to print the output of "p4 describe -s $change_num" when i
submit
> something, but it keeps showing me nothing. but if i change that line
> to "p4 info" it show the output
>
> @change_info=`$P4 describe -s $change_num`;
>
> #If i replace the line above with this line, i got the output
> #@change_info=`$P4 info`;
>
> print "@change_info";
> exit 1;

My guess would be that your changelist is invalid and it's spewing "no
such changelist" to STDERR, which does not get captured by backticks.
Then STDOUT returns nothing, which results in an empty @change_info.  P4
info, on the other hand, always returns something to STDOUT.

Try:
@change_info = `$P4 describe -s $change_num 2> /tmp/trigger.stderr`;

And then examine the contents of /tmp/trigger.stderr.

-dan

This email and any files included with it may contain privileged,
proprietary and/or confidential information that is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s).  Any disclosure, copying, distribution,
posting, or use of the information contained in or attached to this
email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender.  If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender
via return email, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
and its included files without reading or saving it in any manner.
Thank you.