[p4] Guidelines for codelines?

James M Nguyen jamesmn at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 12:14:53 PST 2008

Through my years of experience in build and release engineering, I've learned that there's no right or wrong way. Each method has pro's and con's. We either pay now (developing out of main) or later (integrating development branches back to main). Perforce or another source code control software is just a "tool" to help do things faster, more efficient, and less painful. Some important factors that really drive us on how to branch are our development process, release process, types of products, platforms, and customers.

For examples, (1) if one is working for a company where s/he constantly fights fires or emergencies with one or two customer(s) at a time, branches would then be all over the places, and the problem is not really in the branching methodologies. I wouldn't work for this company. (2) If one's engineering organization consistently schedules a code freeze/code completion and QA qualification start apart by only a midnight or does not allocate time and man resource for integrations at all, then minimize number of branches. While requesting new features or longer changes to be on development branches, have developers work out of main and let them resolve code conflicts before submitting them. (3) If minimizing risks is at a very top priority for an engineering organization and upper management, then branch out more and add more integration time and resource.

With all said, my suggestion is that you should put together a proposal with a few different options, present them to your development managers, QA managers, project managers, release managers, etc., and agree on one best or right methodology for your organization with full support from management team. Once that is done, you can build and automate Perforce processes to support it. Certainly there are areas on how engineers are customed to which should be changed. Developing scripts to help developers easily integrate between branches does add a lot of value and visibility.

A lot of verbage here, but that is what I've experienced as an effective way to introduce a process. Several times, someone takes a process from his/her past company and introduces it to a new company without deriving it to best fit. It looks good at first but soon be thrown out the window, not to mention that the person might lose his/her job too. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks,
~James Nguyen