[p4] CM Synergy to Perforce Migration
yariv.sheizaf at sap.com
Wed Nov 26 21:32:33 PST 2008
Yes, I migrated a big project (about 200 developers, 4 global sites)
from CM_Synergy to Perforce.
There is not automatic migration tool like CVS-2-P4 o4 VSS-2-P4, and the
reason is that both philosophy and data structure of CM-Synergy is very
different than Perforce (or any other normal version control system).
The basic idea is:
- Prepare an empty depot in P4.
- Per project, identify which releases in CM-Synergy you want to migrate
(do not migrate the whole data!!!- just keep CM-Synergy database with
two floating licenses forever - keep history there).
- Extract from CM-Synergy the relevant releases , and remove the
configuration file from root folder of each of them.
- Create project folder in P4.
- Create "main" branch under //<depot?/<project> in Perforce.
- Upload the oldest release of the project (from flat files you
extracted from CM-Synergy) to "main".
- Assign a p4 label on this layer (you can, later, create a branch for
maintenance from every label as a baseline point).
- Upload next release to "main" over the previous. NOTE: Pay attention
to deleted files (files that deleted between release 1 and 2) - they
need special action.
- Assign a label
-- Repeat the above for all relevant releases, per project.
* It is possible to automate (scripting) the Perforce-side steps.
* Create branches from the label point for versions or variants that are
More information about the perforce-user