[p4] Query related to different selections automatically

Jeff A. Bowles jab at pobox.com
Thu Nov 27 23:59:29 PST 2008

You are seeing one place that is simply a difference between ClearCase
config specs do, and what Perforce does.
It is not that one is better, the other is worse, but that the tools offer
slightly different ways to view the problem.

One way I've seen to deal with this, is to start with the big-picture
notion:
   "I want to have my developers build /src --> LABEL1, /doc --> a specific
directory,  /html--> Label2"
and realize that this is not absolutely foreign to Perforce.  It doesn't get
solved in the workspace specs, but it can be dealt with.

In short, and you'll want to read in Laura Wingerd's book about this sort of
approach, you'd have a tree that developers worked in. Since branches are
(somewhat) inexpensive in Perforce, you might have

   - //depot/developerArea/projectA/src/...   (integrated from
   /depot/src/... at LABEL1)
   - //depot/developerArea/projectA/doc/...   (integrated from
   //depot/docs/... at 2008/10/01)
   - //depot/developerArea/projectA/html/...   (integrated from
   /src/.../depot/src/... at Label2)

The basic, meat-and-potatoes developer, is going to map
in //depot/developerArea/..., build from it, etc.

The basic build engineer will, from time-to-time, repopulate parts
of //depot/developerArea/projectA/... with updates from the upstream
projects.

You have to consider how you make changes to the input components: does a
projectA developer update the things in //depot/src or in projectA/src or
just tap on another developer to do it? (There are a million variations of
this question.)

Advantages:

   1. The developers on ProjectA are absolutely isolated from the world for
   as long as they want; the world is isolated from the ranks of ProjectA for
   as long as you want. (Read: your own playpen.)
   2. It is a Perforce "primitive" that you can retrieve the tree,
//depot/developerArea/...,
   as of any moment. That means that you can recreate the projectA development
   environment, including the subcomponents and tests in vogue at that moment,
   for last Saturday. For your brother's 23rd birthday. Any time.

Disadvantages:

   1. Yes, it means that someone needs to understand integrations and the
   merge tool. (Life's like that.)

It isn't quite as spiffy-neato as ClearCase for this specific feature, but
there's a well-defined way to get around it -- and get some nice things back
in the bargain. So, try that for a while.

And get Laura's book.

 -Jeff Bowles