[p4] Need help in checking out files through command line. (OT Slightly)

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Sat Nov 29 06:12:25 PST 2008

You are right that the typical case of branching could probably be done
without a client. However, Perforce's branch mechanism is more general
than that limited use case. You can open an integrated file for edit
before you submit it to make changes appropriate for the target branch,
which would require a workspace. Besides, you do have something to check
in. The integration operations that comprise creating a branch need a
changelist.

Part of what it comes down to, though, is that different systems do
things differently. If you think this is strange, I guarantee I can find
some much stranger behaviors and requirements in some other systems.

As for labels, the 'p4 label' command doesn't require a client because
you're just creating a form. If you use an automatic label with the
Revisions field, you never need a client. If you want to use 'p4
labelsync' to associate the revisions with the label you need a client
because its behavior intersects the affected file list with the client
view. An alternative that addresses this issue is to use 'p4 tag' which
creates the label spec and tags the files without intersecting with the
client view.

Steve

--
Stephen Vance