[p4] [Error]: Access for user 'Username' has not been enabled by 'p4 protect'.

Riaz, Bob Bob.Riaz at Pearson.com
Thu Oct 9 14:09:41 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Perforce novice here.

IDE: IntelliJ IDEA 7.0

Developing in Ruby.

When I try to sync with repository I get the following error:

[Error]: Access for user 'Username' has not been enabled by 'p4
protect'.

I can run sync from the cmd line using p4 sync 'path'. I can run sync
from one method in IDEA but not from another, both using p4.run_sync
(from P4Ruby).

Also, everywhere I check my user name is 'username' (lowercase 'u')
rather than 'Username' as it appears in the error message.

I've checked the Perforce configurations in IDEA under Version Control
Settings - Config settings are explicitly set (port, client, user etc),
and the connection test is ok.

All thoughts deeply appreciated!!

Many thanks.

Bob