[p4] Performance impact of "large" clients

Stephen Vance steve at vance.com
Thu Aug 6 07:16:00 PDT 2009

Large subsets for view resolution which increases database lock time,
memory requirements, and processor requirements.
Large have tables increase your database sizes.
Have tables have a high churn rate increasing database fragmentation and
slowing down performance.
P4V and P4Win don't fstat all files on opening, but they do fstat all
files, changes, jobs, etc. that are displayed and in scope. Larger
clients increase the scope, although not necessarily more than "Entire
Depot View" would.

I strongly discourage catch-all clients. It leaves opportunities for
several mistakes and best practice violations. It allows changelists to
span branches which violates the principle of a changelist being a
single logical change to a codeline. It allows for sloppy or mistakenly
targeted integrations. Those are just two of the issues.

Steve

Anders Kjærgaard Hansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are currently doing some housekeeping and cleanup in our Perforce user database, and old unused clients.
>
> We came to discuss what impact large clients have on both the perforce server, but also our storage.
>
> We have several users who was clients with views as //depot/... //client/...
>
> What are the impacts of these "global" clients?
>
> Do p4, p4v, p4win e.g. fstat all files in a client each time you open it in the application?
>
> We are especially interested in hearing opinions on whether we should allow these clients or not.
>
> We have tools supporting creation and use of correct product scoped clients.
>
> I hope some of you have some valuable input
>
> Sorry if I'm reposting this, my first mail didn't show up so I am retrying.
>
> Best regards
> /Anders

Stephen Vance
www.vance.com